I'm back home and realizing that jet lag can last a long time. I flew from the West Coast this time and the travel time was 18 1/2 hours - grueling! I think I could have flown to Australia in that amount of time. Thankfully, I had a good book and I no longer think that I have to talk to my seatmates, so it was mostly a good experience. And, although one flight was 4 1/2 hours late due to weather and the flight being re-routed, the person who was supposed to meet me was there - hurrah! But I'm finding that my sleep pattern isn't quite back to normal yet - alas... Think it's time for Melatonin.
Today I'm starting to weave again - I've had to unpack my yarn since someone was staying in the house and I had to make room for them, so the yarn got consigned to the attic. It was lovely looking at all the colors and textures again - and I have at least 5 projects that are laid out! I also brought some equipment from the States that I'm eager to try - lacy edges to scarves and shawls - ah...
Did a lot of boundary practice over the past 2 months - some more successful than others. Sometimes it was other people stepping over my boundaries and sometimes it was me doing the same to others. It's hard work and people pleasing gets in the way a lot! It was more obvious to me now that being an introvert dealing with extroverts is also part of this equation, especially if the extrovert has boundary issues, too. I'm learning to be more clear with fewer words- and repeating those words over and over, if necessary.
Having grown up in a "herd", it's been difficult in the past for me to tolerate being alone with myself. That's changing - I really do like time alone now and find that I have to carve that time out for myself and not feel guilty for doing so. Weaving is one way that I can do that - it's decidedly not a communal activity. Being an introvert is an advantage in some ways - and knowing that I'm an introvert is even better. (Being an introvert was NOT accepted in my NFOO,so there are a couple of us that are fake extroverts, which is stressful!) Now I can take the time to think through a response - I don't feel so much that I have to have an immediate answer, but can take the time to process what I want to say, without worrying that I might appear to be slow-thinking to an extrovert, especially a narcissistic extrovert. (Being accused of being "stupid" was a customary Nassault in my NFOO - and being "shy" was considered a major character flaw.) It's weird still to see myself this way, the way I really am and not the way I was conditioned to be so that Nfather in particular wouldn't see me as a pathologically flawed human being - oh, the irony!!
Glad to hear you got back ok, hope your jet lag doesn't last too long.
ReplyDeleteYour line about being shy being considered a major character flaw made laugh, in Spain, the whole country thinks being shy is a character flaw, so I also spent most of my life thinking I was an extrovert, when in reality I am an introvert who just wasn't allowed to be one. :P I love the idea of weaving, would love to see it sometime.
Love, Kara xx
Hi Toto, I love your point that in NFOOs, introverts aren't allowed. Or maybe you meant just in yours--but it seems to me that people would be forced to be pretend extroverts in order to provide narc supply. An introvert would have too much internal life, would be selfl-protective, and that would stymie narcissists. You were away a long time--was it all one long trip to the US? Your sister is all recovered now? I'll bet you're glad to get back home, back to your art. love CS
ReplyDelete