Friday, March 1, 2013

Do children with RAD grow up to be narcissists?

So here's a new spin on narcissism - narcissism looks remarkably like adult attachment disorder, a relatively new diagnosis, from what I can tell.  Here's a site:  http://www.instituteforattachment.org.  This is so very odd - my spouse has been diagnosed with adult attachment disorder and living with this looks a LOT like living with narcissism- if it looks like a duck... But there appears to be some hope with neurofeedback, which my spouse is getting to reduce anxiety...  Does anyone out there know anything about this???

1 comment:

  1. Hi Toto,
    Thanks for the link, I checked it out and I can't see how it is any different from Narcissism or Psychopathy even. All the things they list as characteristic of the disorder are the same as the ones in Narcissistic People and Psychopaths, Sociopaths.
    I've only heard of this disorder once before on a BBC radio program. It was also about a family who fostered a little girl whom they couldn't cope with. What they described of her behaviour reminded me of a friend of DH whom we also struggled to cope with. He is like what you described about your fostering experience in the previous post: when we went on holiday with him, he would drive us up the wall with his boycotting behaviours. My heart goes out to you, I can only imagine how hard it must be to be dealing with someone like that on a daily basis, even more so how hard it must be to try to maintain a loving relationship with him. Sending you lots of support and love.
    Kara xx

    ReplyDelete