Saturday, March 14, 2015
Fight or Flight - or not...
So I'm settling into taking care of myself - following the nutritionist's advice, taking massive amounts of supplements, drinking gallons of water, and trying to untie myself from the fight-or-flight response that's led to my myriad health problems. Fight or flight is a great response to meeting a bear in the woods or a mugger on a quiet street, but I've been using it for daily life and its just not working for me anymore! The nutritionist told me that my endocrine system is fatigued and that if I feel tired, I should just lie down and sleep. What a concept!!! I'm finding that I need a nap about every 4 days now - I just get so tired that I can't go on anymore - which I would have done before, but now I'm just taking the nap and then getting on with things. I'm hoping that this is a temporary situation, that great nutrition, supplements, herbs, tonics, and relaxation techniques (including naps, yoga, deep breathing, meditation, and long walks), and resolving many of my myriad NFOO issues will finally produce a healthy me! Things are improving - I can read again - read and comprehend! The brain fog is lifting - hurrah! I can plan ahead more than a couple of hours - another plus. I'm hermitting more, but I assume that's partly so I can stay focused on me - I'm easily distracted by other people's pain. I feel like I'm on the right track. At last.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This sounds great, Pearl! Taking care of ourselves is a foreign concept! Imagine taking a nap and not being productive that afternoon...not something that would be permissible in the home I grew up in. And then I married a guy that kept track of my accomplishments to make sure I'd earned my keep. ha! Now I take time for myself and have only the past two years, paid closer attention to fatigue. I have had to consciously argue with myself about "not being productive." How productive is it if I'm too anxious to think clearly, too tired to move?
ReplyDeleteExactly... Most of my life, I took so little time for myself that even a little time seems extravagant. So I've decided to go whole hog! Some days, self care takes hours - hours! I want my health, energy, and peace back - well, really, I want them for the first time! I'm enjoying it. Ah...
Delete