I've been thinking about starting another blog - one about living with a passive-aggressive spouse. I've looked and looked and can find few blogs about this topic, and the ones I have found are authored by life coaches and psychologists - and there's certainly nothing wrong with that, but my experience has been that those who have gone through living with a personality-disordered person are much more likely to understand it on the cellular level. And that's what I need and want - real input from real people who've been through the real thing.
Then I realized that many of us who were raised by N's married people who were in some way familiar - we weren't worthy of true love, we'd been conditioned to take care of people, we didn't expect anything from relationships except hurt and pain. And there you have it - the passive-aggressive is the perfect choice for someone with those criteria! Like N's, passive-aggressives don't show their true colors at first - in my case, things were going pretty well until the children arrived (OK, I had by then realized that he wasn't at all in touch with his emotions, that he had to have his own way or he'd go even more silent and pout, and that he didn't seem to like women. Hmph. After being raised by wolves, this wasn't all that bad....) But after the children were born, he seemed to feel that they were competition for him - mostly, I think, because I was no longer HIS mother - I was THEIR mother.
Our arguments generally revolved around him appearing to believe I was his mother - I was to take care of him, interpret life for him, identify his feelings for him, etc. My most frequent line was, "I am NOT your mother!" But he, unfortunately, became his father, a textbook example of a passive-aggressive. And I stayed for decades with a man who just honestly could not express or receive love, whose idea of intimacy was hand-holding - and even that appeared to be "dangerous" at times- whose only real emotions seem to be simmering anger and "blankness" (I'm not sure that qualifies as an emotion, but it's certainly one of his states of being...).
All this to say that having been raised by narcissists, OF COURSE I married a passive-aggressive! He didn't rage, did he? He seemed to be a deep thinker - this turned out not to be true - he was often just pouting or blank... Aack. My young self was pretty stupid (I know, I know - "conditioned"), but my mature self stayed and kept hoping that he could change, that he could start to actually feel emotions other than this simmering anger, that he might some day love me - sound familiar??? And the very saddest thing? I still love him - or perhaps I love the idea of what might have been if he had been brave enough to actually look at himself and realize that life offered so much more than this perpetual need to be loved by his mother/mother substitute.
So I'm going to continue here - it seems all of a piece. If you've been reading this blog, you know that my spouse is now in care - the perfect storm of dementia and passive-aggressive behavior became way too much for me to deal with. Since he can't listen to me, but often does the exact opposite of what I say, I can no longer keep him safe in the world. I had a homebirth, I homeschooled, and I'd anticipated home care for him until he dies - but both disorders are getting worse and worse. Not surprisingly, I suppose, since he's left our home, my stress levels have gone way down, I'm more relaxed and happier than I've ever been, and I'm loving my life again. I thought I'd feel guilty, but having worked through all the NFOO nonsense, I'm not feeling guilty at all! He made a lot of bad choices early on and could never gather the courage to change. It's sad, but it can't be my sadness.
Of all the personality disorders....I believe this passive/aggressive disorder is the hardest to fathom. It seems ...well, it doesn't seem violent, but it can turn to this. After 12 years of marriage to a passive/aggressive man, I also saw where the aggressive side of this disorder popped out more and more...and violence (blackened eyes, slamming on the brakes so I went into the windshield, shoving me through the drywalls, etc....) began to be a 'regular occurrence." There was no safety in what I assumed in the beginning.
ReplyDeleteAND....I definitely agree that psychologists, therapists of all stripes really don't have a handle on this disorder...UNLESS they live with one daily. Quite a trip.
Yep....when the children arrive or are threatened...I had a miscarriage at 4 months, and you could see the RELIEF on the face of my then husband....and he expected me to be HIS mother...not someone else. He denied that I was pregnant even though he saw the embryo in my hand.....And he was a narcissist...plain and simple...in fact...he was a sadist, too.
So, these things can compound...and so many people don't believe these things when told. It's first hand experience with these wankers that give us a special seat in the disorder aisle.
I think you shouldn't feel guilty. I think you should feel relieved. It's time to reclaim your own life.
By the way.....I don't think that Narcisissts are just 'plain' egotists...I think that the great majority of them compound their disorders, and it's like peeling an onion...there are so many damn layers of misuse in there...of abusive behavior, of truly dangerous behavior.
Case in point. My 94 year old mother is a cauldron of disorders: Pathological narcissism, sadism, probably a base of sociopathic behavior, etc. Too much for us to deal with...at least me.
Also, my husband of 30 years seemed like a passive/aggressive man. He probably is: but he also has his own history of abuse from two wives and a 33 year old daughter. Plus bosses. Through therapy, he has been able to work through SOME of this, but not all. It's a struggle all the time.
I hope you get to live your life now as you can and should. You are right: he never could gather the courage to change. It's not your sadness.
Love,
Jane
I do think that N's add whatever works! My sister Danielle is married to a Passive Aggressive N. Talk about crazy-making! It's nice to not deal daily with a personality disordered person - having been raised by N's, I really have had very few years that were free of the stress created by personality-disordered people, so I'm planning to make the most of it. Today, for example, I did nothing - absolutely nothing - and it was quite wonderful. I've been so used to being in charge that it's difficult to slow down - but I'm really working at it!! I visit my spouse a couple of times a week, but we don't discuss anything anymore - there's never been a point to that except my need to connect. If both people don't want connection (as you well know), it's impossible. My spouse would go to counseling for a few weeks, then stop - just long enough to make me think something was happening so I'd stay. Aack. I'm so done. I believe that people become more themselves as they age - it's sort of a distilling process - and more p/a nobody needs! I think you're right about p/a being the most difficult to fathom - I think that it's just so underhanded that it's difficult for an openhearted person to comprehend. Thanks for your comment!
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome, dearheart. Only those who have faced this p/a daily can understand. There are so many layers to this disorder.
ReplyDeleteI totally understand the stress being raised by Ns and always being in 'service' to their overwhelming wills. We are slaves to them...until we break away and stay away. I had to go NC and I didn't do this until I was 62....only 4 years ago. And the joy and freedom I feel (and yes, mixed with the guilt because we were taught to feel great guilt in all areas....) is rattling.
Yes! doing nothing. Isn't it wonderful??? To have a day or more to do just NOTHING....and it's hard to do because we are programmed to be always 'busy'. Our value...or self-worth is predicated on doing Something. LOL! It takes time to slow down so give yourself time and love.
The world will take care of itself....no one will take care of us. That is our job.
Love, Jane
Passive / agressive guys are so everywhere. What gets me is how they blame feminism for their troubles, but yet expect their wives or girlfriends to continue up the corporate ladder - and bring home (and cook) the bacon.
ReplyDelete