My sister-in-law's "Celebration of life" was this past Saturday. I didn't go - I'm on another continent and I couldn't justify the airfare for a short trip to the US to see a brother who obviously has no interest in a relationship with me - there you have it. I'm sad (about K's death, but also about my brother's lack of a desire for a relationship with me), but it's not that core sadness, the sadness that seems to reach into the very center of you, the sadness that feels like it will destroy your soul. It's just sadness, and it will pass.
Taking care of a spouse with Parkinson's, Parkinson's dementia and p/a is stressful and I'm having to look again at how I can survive this - most of our married life has been about him, his needs, his fear of intimacy. Now it's my turn, but I'm doing it with a load of responsibility and I find myself in a balancing act every single day. But my first question now is "Is this good for me?" instead of "Is this good for him?" Thirty-nine years of having your own way seems like enough... His doctor suggested therapy for him and I've nixed it - we can't afford it and he won't follow through with it - he never has and I haven't seen a change that justifies throwing yet more money at this illness. I'm considering taking a week long trip and putting him in the care facility where he now spends two days a week. I need a break!
Hi Pearl, I'm glad you didn't go to K's memorial service. Your brother would've cold-shouldered you as a way to offload his own guilt/shame; it would've been pointless. How wonderful to feel regular sadness rather than the kind that makes you feel somehow 'indicted' as well. this is how it should be.
ReplyDeleteAs for your husband, I say take a trip. let him spend a week in a care facility. You could be taking care of him for quite awhile, and you need to start re-arranging the ratio of time for yourself, especially given the fact that he never really cared much for your own feelings and needs. Take that break, I say. xo CS
Thanks - I'm glad I didn't go. I'm tired of the NFOO and it's drama. And I'm planning a trip to a wonderful bird-watching spot the first week of July - can't wait!!!
Delete