I raised myself in the company of two of the nuttiest people ever to live. Needless so say, my maturation was delayed (although I appeared older than my years from a young age) by lack of parental guidance - and worse, by strange and often perverse pseudo-parental messages. Consumed by their obsession with each other, finding fault with every other person on the planet, and believing that their progeny were there only to bring them glory, they were hardly the stuff of any child's fantasy- but they inspired me to fantasize about other parents, my "real" parents, who might just come and find me one day. (I've mentioned in a previous post that the WWW often told me that I had been adopted - difficult to believe since I looked so much like Nfather, but a child can hope...)
So I fantasized the perfect parents - and it turns out that they were a hard act to follow. It's pretty clear that I was a significantly better parent than my parents - but the bar was remarkably low. A chimpanzee is likely to be better at parenting than the Nparents were. But the fantasy parents - they were good! They held me on their laps, they tucked me in at night with stories and songs, they comforted me when I was sick instead of locking me in a room, they listened to how my day was, they made my favorite foods, they asked about who I was dating, they didn't call the police when I was out late, they told me I was pretty, they got to know my spouse, they liked my kids - you get the idea. They were more real than my real parents were! And I imagine that if they messed up, they apologized. Goodness - they were never mean-spirited, they never had a bad day, they never raised their voice or became impatient. See??? A hard act to follow.
But it gets worse - I saw a train wreck of a marriage, so I fantasized the perfect marriage. I never saw decent grandparenting, so I fantasized that, too - the whole array of human relationships was created in my head and I had to live up to some really remarkable expectations! I wonder if all N's did this to survive living in so much dysfunction. I remember driving in the car as a child and looking into windows and wondering if those people were happy and how "happy" looked. I didn't go to other children's homes very often - we weren't allowed to bring people home, so I could never ask anyone back. (And really, it was too scary, too - the Nparents were a bit volatile and Nmother couldn't tolerate having her house messed up by children - or anyone else, for that matter.) The more I write about this, the more I wonder how I survived these people at all!
Fantasy helped me survive - but it also kept me in the mess longer than was good for me - I fantasized that it was possible to have real relationships with my Nparents, with my Nsibs, even with some of my sibs who aren't N's, but struggle also, I think, with fantasy. Let's all pretend that..... we're close..... we're a normal family..... any of us got out unscathed....
it wasn't so bad... only some of us were "hurt" by the family... being horrible to each other is normal... bullying doesn't exist in our family... Nfather was the only problem.... Nmother was a saint.... Nmother was a victim of the abusive Nfather... This could go on forever - family mythology is strong and when you give it up, you're an outcast. This is one thing I think I'm at the end of, finally - there is nothing to go back to. I have one sister, a couple of friends with whom I need pretty strong boundaries, and a lot of scarey aquaintences.
Dear Pearl. You, too? Fantasy was the general rule of my life as a child and with the same avenues as you had. It's sad, but I think there are more of us than we know. And yes, we have little to go back to. I have two younger brothers and they are so attached to the NMother....that they have nothing to do with me. Or my child, husband. I could be dead and they wouldn't notice. Of course, they did nothing to interfere with the abuse my nmonster shelled out. Either, in their narrow, bigoted Christianity they agreed that I was 'lost to God' and this was righteous punishment (funny the Nmother is an atheist...something these "Christians" refuse to acknowledge and she is laughing behind their backs....)but the real reason was this: with me out of the will....there was more for them. And they are not going against that.
ReplyDeleteI don't think we ever really recover from our bashed and abnormal childhoods. There is a point where we just go on as adults...BUT! we are forever dealing with the damage of what happened in those childhood years. I guess when we come to a place, either through therapy or life, where we understand that the problem was the narcissism of the parents....and not us as children...we weren't the monsters....we can 'detach' from the damage somewhat and go on to being productive and mostly normal people. Yes, family mythology is strong.....but also is a tissue of lies. Narcissists always lie, and they rewrite history. don't we know this so well? There is nothing to go back to, except more hurt and abuse. We are better striking out, even alone, though we carry the wounds from so long ago.
Love, Jane
You're right about the damage - I really thought that what the Nparents put us through would have convinced all of us to run like hell in the other direction, but N's breed N's and the GC's just can't resist following the path... I see it so strongly in some of my Nsibs and wish it could have been stopped in the last generation... I have at least 4 Nsibs and I'm done, done, done trying to deal with them.Thankfully, I have 1 sister with whom I can talk and a couple sibs that I'm LC with - very LC. Living on anther continent has really given me the freedom to ponder this and work through it without a lot of Nnonsense. Thanks for your comment - it's always good to hear how other ACON's are dealing with the N's in their lives. It sounds like you're in a good place! Abrazos! Pearl
ReplyDeleteHa! I remembered today that Nmother used to say, when she saw children who had obviously dressed themselves (Horrors!) that they'd been "raised like Topsy." Of course, she never explained the literary reference, but it sounded horrible - until I realized that I, too, had pretty much raised myself! Maybe I should have gone with Topsy instead of Pearl!!!
ReplyDeleteI think coming to terms with the degree of false consciousness we all grew up within is the hardest thing. The "fantasy" that the FOO is fine, the rotating scapegoat, the bullshit, the amount of "unknowing" what we know that's required to stay in the FOO system, wires everything. Getting clear of it, and especially the emo hooks, is by far the hardest part. There is, or may be, precious little genuine love in our worlds; but it is still worth seeing things for what they are. Pretending to myself that my parents loved me when in fact it was something "else" they felt, not something I'd attach the word "love" to, was worse for me than anything since. Hope your foot is doing much much better! xo CS
ReplyDeleteI'm finding that sibs with the greatest need to maintain the fantasy are the most difficult to deal with - I can do LC with sibs who have at least a notion of reality - but those who insist that the roles must stay the same so that we're all 'safe" are just too hard to have relationships of any sort with. I also think that I'm probably dealing with more than "just" narcissism. Just like my spouse's dementia is made more difficult to deal with because of his passive aggression, I think I have sibs whose narcissism is aggravated by mental illness - or whose mental illness is aggravated by narcissism - either way, it's a perfect storm. My foot is ever so much better - thanks for asking. 2 more weeks before I see the doctor for the last time - and then I'm going to get a lovely massage to celebrate the end of this crazy time!
DeleteHi Pearl, interesting connection between your spouse's dementia/passive aggression (was he always PA?) and your sibs who insist you all stay "the same." You have had SO much to deal with, haven't you, and precious few who help you. Can you now resume walking for exercise? And have you started looking for a new congregation yet? :-)
ReplyDeleteHe was always p/a - like most of this stuff, it didn't show up until after the marriage - because of it, I assumed that he was a quiet, calm, man who didn't get angry - ha! I love him all the same - but it sure has made this part tough. Everyone has decisions to make about their behavior and I don't think this time is working out for him as he thought it would, which is sad, but the combination of p/a and dementia is horrific and it's time I took care of myself, too. I am walking again - not long distances yet, but it gets better every day - hurrah! And I think I'm not going to look for a new church yet - I'm working with another woman on a caregiver's support group so that we can support and encourage one another and I think that for now, that's what I need. God and I will have to go it alone for a bit...
ReplyDelete"God and I will have to go it alone for a bit" LOVE that. and you know what? it'll work just fine until you find another church, or not. People who come through for you don't always come from where you'd expect it. Disappointing but true. I'm so glad you can walk again. And detach emotionally from your husband's behavior, which does sound like a huge strain. Time to limit that as much as you can,while doing due diligence on the care part,eh?
Delete