For most of my life, I've felt estranged from the world, like I didn't belong, as if I had a very tenuous hold on the earth, as if I had no right to take up space on the planet. Even as a young child, I remember feeling that way - I had no right to exist. I think I must have been an odd little kid - I hid in a corner of the attic that could only be accessed through a small opening - I had to duck even as a child and the little room it led to was freezing in the winter and sweltering in the summer - and I was afraid of small spaces - but I still went there to read by flashlight or just to sit and think about things. No one every found me there. I have no idea what that space was for - there was nothing in it - I think it might just have been God's way of providing a hiding place for me. It was so quiet there and so peaceful. I used that space through high school.
In my FOO, there was no personal identity - we were part of a group - basically, my Nparents ran a very clean, very tidy, very abusive group home. Although we all received toys at Christmas time, we weren't allowed to keep our toys in our rooms - or even to keep our toys separate from our siblings' toys- after Christmas Day, they were all put in a long wooden box (that carpet came in) in the basement, everyone's jumbled together - we didn't have personal possessions. Nmother would come into our rooms and dump our dresser drawers in the middle of the floor if they weren't tidy enough - I'm talking underwear folded neatly, socks lined up, sweaters folded the regulation way. Our letters were read, our diaries were read - there wasn't an iota of privacy in the whole house. The only door that was allowed to be locked was the bathroom door - and since there was only one full bath with 9 children, the minute you went into the bathroom, someone was pounding on the door. Thankfully, Nmother didn't want children messing up her house, so we played outside most of the day and, if you could escape the care of younger siblings, there was freedom and privacy to be had in the branches of trees, on the top of the smokehouse by the river, in vacant barns, on long bike rides, even at the cemetary. But there's something immeasurably sad about not feeling at home at home. It was housing, but not a home at all. Between Nfather's narcissistic rages and irrational ramblings and Nmother's need to control all of the world in order to feel safe, with no energy left for her children, it was a decidedly bad group home. WWW used to tell me that she had heard Nfather and Nmother talking and that I was adopted (a ridiculous contention, since I look exactly like Nfather), and I used to daydream about the day my real parents would come and rescue me from these awful people who obviously didn't love me because I wasn't really their child. It was a long wait...
But now I feel at home on the earth - I feel "grounded" and as if I belong here. This is relatively new and I'm still amazed by it - I have a right to be here - I have the right to exist, to be who I really am, to explore the world and my life and my feelings. I have the right (and obligation!) to protect myself and those I love - and I have the right to share my life with whomever I choose - and to not share my life with whomever I choose - Life is Good!!!
(), good morning. I have always had a feeling of not belonging, until really the last ten years or so. I felt ill at ease, alien, the odd one out. I felt I had no "right" to really "be" anywhere as an individual. My NF's favorite word is "the Clan," of which he is "the Patriarch." That's right. 2012 and he still speaks like this. Three daughters and he talks like this. Now NINE children would make you feel utterly invisible, esp with Narc parents. We children of Narcs have to work desperately hard and long to develop our own boundaries. Many never do. Even when we've assembled a family of choice--we still feel "apart" unless like you, you've come finally at long last to feel like you have a place where you belong. You sound clear and joyful in this post, and I know that it's a new feeling, one you've earned by going through the fire.
ReplyDeleteThanks - I have earned it,although I think that for people not raised by N's (I always want to insert "wolves" here), I think it's just a part of being human. I know people who have 6,7,8 children and each child is treated like a unique person, a gift from God. Ah, how I longed for that as a child and even as an adult. I am working at boundaries - I'm finding that I don't mind being alone at all (This is new to me.) and in fact, I often crave being alone. My daughter suggested that I read "Quiet" by Susan Cain and it was a real revelation to me that I am an introvert - a loud introvert, mind you, not a shy one, but an introvert all the same. Being an introvert was NOT accepted in my NFOO - too much work for the Nparents - so I've pretended most of my life to be an extrovert - it also got me out of the house as a teenager, an added advantage! But now I'm reveling in being introverted - I'm retired, so there aren't any issues with work, and I'm living in a foreign country, so I'm out of the Nloop and it's so refreshing - I have 2 good friends here and they are wonderful, positive people with whom I can laugh and play wholeheartedly!! And I can keep up with my lovely US friends via SKYPE, so life is good!!!
DeleteI love "the Clan" - my nonNsiblings and I refer to ourselves as being part of the "Herd" - Nfather raised beef cattle, who got waaaaaaay more of his attention than we ever did! And I have one Nsibling who periodically "culls the herd" and ousts another sibling. And we have one sister who periodically tries to "round us all up" again - you can see that analogies can really be taken too far!!!
The word "Patriarch" is so biblical - hate to see it used to mean NF, but I think maybe some of the biblical patriarchs weren't much better... Still, we are living in the 21st century...
I am mostly joyful about having gotten this far "out", but I'm also dealing with a p/a spouse - this has been an issue our whole married life and I've worked around it, but now he has early dementia, so it's really tough to get through most days. This is a great sadness in my life, but boundaries are making it manageable.