Sunday, October 28, 2012
Beating a dead horse
It's sad, but I've begun to really hate the word "community". LS1 claims (and I do believe that it's true) that when N's use the word "community", they mean "those who can do something for me." And when non-N's use the word, they often mean "those for whom I can do something." Hmmmm... I've become less and less trusting of the ACoN online community - there's waaaaaaaay too much bullying, sniping, name-calling, badgering, and general Nbehavior and a disconcerting amount of people pleasing. I'm back to just blogging, using this method of journaling my progress and not following other blogs except two or three, those of people I feel that I can trust and who want to live their lives peacefully, and who are willing to monitor their comments to keep the bullies out. The name of my blog is, after all, "No More Flying Monkeys" and that is exactly what I want in my life. Today, I'm going to go through all the blogs that I follow and get rid of most of them. I feel like I'm making good progress in understanding the catastrophe that was my life and moving on to healthy, happy living. If those I love get into a kerfuffle, then I must be involved - but this idiocy I really don't want in my life anymore. Another healthy decision - hurrah!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I just read Mulderfan's latest post, and their gang of 5-6 veers wildly between being a "community," and radical "individuals." They cannot make up their minds. Q with the dumb boob jokes; Upsi and Jonsi Ha Ha Ha-ing. And now that some of us have retreated from such idiocy, they have nothing real to talk about. There's no "there there". Thank god I can see them for what they are. What a week! Accckkkkk. On my fourth "captcha"
ReplyDeleteHi Toto,
ReplyDeleteI have been able to sidestep all the BS going on w/the ACoN bloggers since I was still pretty much an outsider when it all happened. But I'm sad for all of it, and your post really got to the heart of it, I think. Which is that all this crap does is hurt people who are seeking help and understanding. I agree that if there's no help for you there, it's correct to move on. The only reason people follow those blogs now is to participate in the titillation. If I want titillation, I'll watch some reality TV. Frankly, neither option appeals to me in the least.
Also wanted to say, once again, how sorry I am that this happened to CS. Her intentions were nothing but good, and she did not deserve it. Truly insanity!
Kitty
It's amazing to me how long this whole thing went on - and I agree, it was probably titillation. That's so sad... Sometimes life feels like Jr. High to me and can you think of a worse time to keep repeating over and over again?
DeleteThis is a longish story, so feel free to skip it if you'd like! Today, my husband and I went out for brunch. We ordered and the the people next to us ordered. As the waiter was approaching with our food, I thought, "Oh, good! I'm starving!" (Ok, it was hyperbole, but I was kind of hungry...) The waiter took the food to the table next to us. As one of the women took a bite of her food, she said, "Well, this isn't what I ordered, but it's just what I wanted." I thought this was odd, but I asked the waiter about our food and he said it would be right out. We waited and waited and waited - and then the owner of the restaurant brought me my Asian steak salad and asked if it was cooked correctly. It wasn't. I asked that it be taken back and cooked to medium well, as I had requested. Then she asked my spouse if he had ordered an egg dish. He hadn't. Then it dawned on me - the other lady had ordered an egg dish and her friend had ordered an Asian steak salad done medium. Again we waited and waited. Finally, my food arrived and 10 minutes later, my husband's food arrived. By this time I was steaming! Who accepts food they didn't order and just eats it? Well, the owner came by with our bill and apologized for the delay, but said there had been a computer problem. I told her that I didn't think the problem was with the computer and she got all snippy with me and said that yes, there was a problem with the computer sending the wrong order to the kitchen and off she went. When she brought back the change, I said, in a quiet but firm voice, "___________, the waiter gave our food to the women at the table next to us (who had already left, having gotten their food waaaaaaaay earlier than we did!) and that is what had caused the problem." I told her what the woman had said and told her that I doubted that anyone else would have ordered a hamburger with a broccoli salad AND two pieces of bacon a la carte. Well, she was taken aback, but did not apologize. She just went away mumbling that the day was getting worse and worse. (And I thought - at least you don't have a computer glitch - you just have an idiot for a waiter!) All that to say, Jr. High is everywhere and it was DIFFICULT for me to not participate and to just state clearly what the problem was when someone was snippy with me. It's a lot of work, this being healthy...