Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Boundaries and intuition

We rent a 2 apartment house and we sub-let the upstairs apartment.  We've had one horrific experience with renters we came to call "the crazy people" - but mostly, we've had lovely people upstairs and have been very grateful for them.  The current tenant, a woman we really like, is going back to the States next month, so we put an ad on one of the Gringo sites - and my, oh my!  The weird people came out of the woodwork.  First, I got an email that creeped me out - I didn't respond.  Then came two lovely, timid women who wore whistles around their necks and really can't live in a neighborhood - they need to be in a gringo condo - but they were sweet.  Then a woman in the neighborhood wanted to see the place - but every time we made an arrangement, she somehow couldn't make it - she kept trying to get me to call her, and I kept putting it back on her - it finally just died out...  And then came a woman whose language indicated that she wanted to live in a place where someone could take care of her - apparently, her current landlords had indicated that they would help her out by periodically driving her into town (She's a ways out.), but she said it didn't happen often, and when it did, she had to ASK them...  Hmmm...  She wanted to talk a lot and, not wanting to disturb our tenant more than necessary, I kept trying to move her through the process - it was only moderately successful - thankfully, she wrote the next day and explained that the situation was too "iffy" because we might go back to the States in a year or two - thank goodness!!! 

Now I have to put another ad on a different website - and I can't wait to see what kinds of responses I get - the ex-pat community seems to have a significantly higher rate of N's than the US has - and that's pretty scary!  I'm practicing listening to my intuition and not getting taken in by N's - the "crazy people" were N's and it was really uncomfortable living downstairs from them - and even worse when they moved out, leaving the place disgustingly dirty (food dripping down the kitchen cupboards, the floor having never been cleaned in the 4 months they lived there, etc....) - we then told them that since they had been so disrespectful of us, they had to move their shipping container's worth of stuff out of our attic.  (It was all done silently - very uncomfortable, but better than anything they might have said, I suppose...).  Don't want a re-play of that!!! 

I'm keeping good boundaries - it's been a challenge sometimes, but I keep working at it - I figure that soon it'll be second nature.  For now, just not being afraid of strangers coming to look at the place is good - I'll listen to my intuition and if I don't want them here, they won't be here - hurrah.

No comments:

Post a Comment