Monday, November 12, 2012

Enjoying life and its absurdities

I've been weaving steadily lately - and loving it!  I'm learning new techniques all the time and now I have BOOKS of ideas - ah...  The last scarf I made I'm going to name "It's a Party!" because honestly, this scarf really LOOKS like a party!!  Banana silk, ribbons, color!!! For now, I'm practicing a lot and making scarves as presents for Christmas, Hannukah, birthdays, etc., but I hope to open an ETSY account in a few months and sell woven items online - it's so good to be doing something I love and to look forward to getting really good at it - and it has nothing to do with service!!!

Last weekend, I went with my husband and a friend to a concert - and it turned out that the concert was the next night - long story...  But we'd met some people that I knew from my weaving group and they were going out to hear some Blues and they invited us to join them.  They went on ahead and we joined them a bit later.  Turns out the Blues had been cancelled as well, but we had a snack and talked and it was fun.  So, we were all going to the concert the next night and decided to meet at a local restaurant beforehand to have dinner.  When we got to the restaurant, two of the weaving women were there and there was a group of women at the table with them.  There were 4 of us, and one of the women sitting at the table got up to get another table to accomodate us, when the woman at the head of the table (henceforth to be called Nwoman) announced in a loud voice that adding another table would make it too difficult to have conversations, and all activity stopped.  Everyone sat down again (except us, of course) and Nwoman waved us off to another table!!!   At one point, 2 of the weaving women came over and said hi to us - I was not particularly receptive, since this was just a very odd scenario...  We enjoyed ourselves, though, and headed off to the concert without them.  At the concert, the weaving women ended up sitting behind us, another long story - at one point, one of the women reached over my shoulder to hand me a card and said, "Here's my information so you can send me those recipes."  (We had talked about this the first night.)  The woman had not even acknowledged my presence at the restaurant and now gave me her card to send her recipes!  The gall!!  Needless to say, the recipes will be sent the day after hell freezes over.  Or maybe the next day.. 

This was some sort of odd test, I think - I was with my husband, my friend, and a friend of my friend, who I had met only once before.  Had I been alone, I would have left, but time was limited and I live in a city where a lot of restaurants don't open before 8 - and the concert was at 7.  So I didn't say anything and we stayed.  The meal was good, the company was excellent, so there you have it.  My response now?  The weaving women will remain weaving acquaintnnces only, and I will never agree to meet them outside of weaving again.  Ever.  We will discuss only weaving and if our paths cross outside of that context, I will wave and say hello - and keep on walking!  I don't think they're necessarily narcissists, poor things, but they're certainly not brave folk and right now, I need brave folk in my life.  And maybe some people with better social skills!!!
It's a Party!



No comments:

Post a Comment