Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Practice, practice, practice!
My focus lately has been on working on not being noticed by N's as supply - and it's working! I went to a party last week and not one of them spotted me, apparently, because I wasn't cornered and talked to death, no one told me all the awful things that had happened to them that week, and no one gave me "the look" from across the room. It was nothing short of delightful! It's becoming more natural: 1. Not to smile at people I don't know, 2. Not to make eye contact with people I don't know, 3. Not to lean into conversations with people I don't know, and 3. To get up and leave when numbers 1, 2, and 3 don't work. No explanation - just leave. In months past, I would have considered all of this rude - now, I see these rules as survival skills - I have to learn to stop being supply of any sort. I want my life to be my life, my time to be my time, my energy to be my energy, and I don't have time to waste on N's and their ilk. I also have to practice for my brother's wedding next fall - WWW and her Flying Monkeys will undoubtedly be there and all of these things have to be second nature to me by then so I'm not sucked into their webs, so I don't backslide into supply behavior. I am remembering more now (without having to say it to myself all the time) that most stuff in the world is none of my damn business and that most people in the world don't really need to know much about me at all - it's none of THEIR damn business. My boundaries are getting stronger every day and I'm loving the freedom that gives me. Who knew that life could be so worry, guilt, and shame-free?? Who knew that boundaries would allow me to be more me?? I can actually spend time during the day doing NOTHING and not feeling guilty about it - or I can weave when I know that that house needs cleaning and not feel guilt or shame - just joy that I have the freedom to do whatever it is I want to do, productive or unproductive - hurrah!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The fear of appearing "rude" always kept me from protecting my boundaries in the past. Not any more. I've gotten much better at saying no, at walking away. As for weaving (or painting) when we should be doing something "else," remember: our lives are OURS. Our time is ours. We can do with it whatever we please.
ReplyDeleteYes, isn't it wonderful? I think that N's are just so very rude that I was hypersensitized to it - my wonderful daughter asked me once how W1 could make you feel so good and so bad with the same sentence. I'm absolutely amazed at what's been said to me in the past - and often I was too shocked or too afraid to appear rude to respond - no more! I actually practice one-liners so that I'll be prepared the next time an N is rude to me! And I practice with a smile on my face!
DeleteGood for you! Hurrah! I like the idea of supply--had not heard that before. Keep up the great work, Toto!
ReplyDeleteYes, narcissistic supply is what N's require of us - and I can't believe how perfectly conditioned I was to provide it. No more!!! Again I say, No more!!!
Delete