Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sensitivity viewed as character flaw

My anxiety's been under control for a while - I rarely take the medication anymore, I'm getting restful sleep, I have  more energy than I've had in a while, I'm losing weight.  So I thought that I could watch a BBC program about spies in France during WW2.  Normally, I don't watch anything really scary - I feel too anxious!  (OK, this is probably taking sensitivity  and empathy waaaaay too far, but that's just the way I am!)  So I've been watching it for a while and although I sometimes have to walk away from it, I can usually go back and finish an episode.  So I was watching it the other night and I had this sudden and overwhelming anxiety -  pounding heart, difficulty catching my breath, sweating... (Definitely not spy material myself)   It was the strangest thing and I couldn't figure out why now, why all of a sudden...  My world is not stress-free although it is becoming N-free, which helps a lot!  I am going to the States for the holidays, but I get to see only the FOO that I love (although not all of them, alas...) and I don't find traveling particularly stressful, even with a disabled husband.  So what is it?  I think it might be that I KNOW the characters more now and am therefore more worried about them - isn't that slightly crazy?  Do other people feel this way?  Am I really "too sensitive"? 

When I was much younger, I remember having a conversation with my brother-in-law, not the most sensitive of men, about a movie he had seen (It was about Vietnam, but I can't remember which movie we were discussing.)  He had seen the movie and, being how he is, therefore thought that EVERYONE should see it.  I told him, foolishly it turns out, that I didn't think I'd be able to watch that kind of movie, that the very thought of it made my stomach hurt, that all of that pain just seemed  too much to watch on a big screen.  He was livid!  That I was such a "coward", that I was "hiding my head in the sand," that I wasn't willing to "look at reality."  It was such a forceful attack that I was really taken aback.  This was about a movie that was about a war that was long over, a war that I had protested.  Looking back at that incident, I'm even more confused - why on earth would you attack someone who just really couldn't bear to watch that much pain in the context of a movie?  And why on earth can this man and his wife, Winkie One, not see the pain that is constantly caused by WWW and her Flying Monkeys, something that he actually COULD do something about?  So I'm the coward for not watching something I have no control over and he's the hero because...  It's no wonder I'm having trouble getting through all this crap..

3 comments:

  1. Hi Toto,
    The last time I was out visiting my NF (a few years ago), he was watching CNN and they played a video of some Islamic terrorists nearly cutting of the head of a poor journalist they'd captured. My father had tevo'd it and wanted me to see it. I had just come back from lovely dinner with my sister and didn't want to. He kept going on about it, in horrified fascination. I said, Jesus Dad, I don't want to even think about it not to mention see the tape. He got pissed off at me. I didn't want to watch Saving Private Ryan. Or "Precious." There are things that I know will be painful in a non-edifying way, (this from a person who loves Doesoevsky), and I don't need to see it. If that makes me "too sensitive," too damn bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I never could watch that video! How gruesome and horrible and why in the world do we all need to see that? I know it happened, I was as deeply saddened by it as others - I just didn't need that picture constantly running in my head. I'm also now at the point where I refuse to be shamed about feeling that way - all the N's in my family get to use the excuse of "That's just how I am" and THIS is just how I am!!!

      Delete
    2. I know! I didn't want an ineradicable IMAGE of that gruesome crime in my mind forever. But my father was angry with me because I didn't mirror or indulge his fascination. He was disgusted but fascinated. He wanted that mirrored, and I said no. It was the last night of my visit to him; and he got pissed off about that. What a guy.

      Delete